We get a chance to tell the city what we want at the new dog park. Think about choices such as large/small dog areas or one big area; agility equipment; fence or no fence. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for meeting details
Author Archives: ODOG
Try visiting someplace new in Oakland with your dog. Check out our tab for dog parks and off-leash areas. If you haven’t been to Estuary Park a little south of Jack London, give it a try for un-crowded fields and a water view with plenty of free parking. Map yourself to Jack London Aquatic Center and go to the left or south of their parking area.
Two major items will be heard by the Parks Commission next Wednesday. We need dog lovers in the room that day to speak out for their pups and we need you to send emails to city officials.
- Come to the meeting Wednesday, September 11 4:30-6:30-7. It is fine to be late.
Lakeside Garden Center, across from Fairyland
Sign up to speak on two items 1) Snow Park and 2) Dog Policy Draft
- Take a few minutes to scan the dog policy draft at dog policy DRAFT for website so that you understand why it is import to tell these people that we don’t want to be stuck in blighted and neglected parks in Oakland just because they think dogs are some sort of problem. There are some good ideas in this document but we have highlighted the recurring problem of not letting dog owners use nice park space. It also would require dog owners to pay special fees that no other park users pay on top of having to privately finance dog parks.
- Send an email with your support of Snow Dog Park and your comments on not wanting only crummy park space to the following list: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
Check out the proposal to make Oakland more dog friendly. Lots of improvements and some major gottchas…..such as assuming that dog parks should be in blighted areas, that dog owners should pay to use the parks and that current users have more rights to the parks than we do.
Contact us at odogparks at comcast dot net to receive a copy of the report and start reviewing it now.
The City is moving ahead with plans for a dog run at Snow Park near Lake Merritt. Join ODOG for an informal brainstorm to give them ideas for the best features for the new downtown dog park.
Saturday February 23
Snow Park at 19th & Harrison
Please contact email@example.com for more information
The Lake Merritt Dog Park got the majority of votes on City Council last night but…….we need a “super majority” . Four votes in our favor and three against. Five votes are needed to decide the issue Council Member Jane Brunner wasn’t at the meeting so we couldn’t get the conclusive fifth vote from her. That will happen next time ! The council will hear the issue again Tuesday December 18 so mark your calendar now. Contact Jane Brunner at firstname.lastname@example.org and let her know how much this dog park means to you.
Come to the conversation with the park supervisor to discuss options for managing our opening/closing routines so that we have more days to use the dog park. What are YOUR thoughts?——different gates? more volunteers? other ideas we haven’t thought of? Of course, full time use or another location would be ideal but those options are not on the table. The meeting had to be scheduled during park staff hours instead of the evening so spread the word .
Wednesday August 22 2pm at the dog park.
Have a great weekend everyone and please consider a visit to Redwood Bowl while our park is closed. The Bowl is up Skyline Blvd, with parking just before the Chabot Science Center . The bowl is a five minute walk from the parking lot. It is in the shade and very dog friendly, Nice picnic tables too.
* Friday-Sunday, August 10 – 12 – Producer Associates Performances (Close August 9 @ 6 pm, Reopen August 13 @ 10 am)
* Thursday-Sunday, August 16 – 19 – Producer Associates Performances (Close August 15 @ 6 pm, Reopen August 20 @ 10 am)
* Friday-Sunday, September 7 – 9 – Producer Associates Performances (Close September 6 @ 6 pm, Reopen September 10 @ 10 am)
* Thursday-Sunday, September 13 – 16 – Producer Associates Performances (Close September 12 @ 6 pm, Reopen September 17 @ 10 am)
* Sunday, September 23 – Sundays in the Redwoods (Close September @ 6 pm, Reopen September 24 @ 10 am)
* Sunday, September 30 – Sundays in the Redwoods (Close September 29 @ 6 pm, Reopen October 1 @ 10 am)
* Sunday, October 7 – Sundays in the Redwoods (Close October 6 @ 6 pm, Reopen October 8 @ 10 am)
* Sunday, October 14 – Sundays in the Redwoods (Close October 13 @ 6 pm, Reopen October 15 @ 10 am)
Join the Dog Walk at the Lake this Saturday. Gather at the Pergola 10-11, walking starts about 11am. All well-behaved dogs on leash are welcome. The Pergola or Colonnade is at the East end of the Lake, easily reached from Grand Avenue near Gold’s Gym. Be sure to give your parking meter plenty o’ money for the time you want to spend walking. Bring poop bags and water for (wo)man and Beast.